Tips & Information

Tips & Information

Back to Our Blog

Can my pup eat peanuts?

Peanuts


QUESTION:

My year-old schnauzer was too quick and ate about eight peanuts behind my back. Should I be concerned?

ANSWER:
The good news is that peanuts are not toxic to pets so your dog should be okay. However, since peanuts are very high in fat, eating too many peanuts at once can potentially lead to an inflammation of the pancreas called pancreatitis, a very painful and potentially deadly disease. That is why it is always wise to give treats in moderation.

While peanuts are not toxic, other nuts such as walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios and macadamia nuts can be toxic for your pet and should be avoided.

Petsecure

×