Reasons to consider adopting a senior pet
1. Their personality has already developed
When it comes to cats, any cat owner knows they have definite personality traits, likes and dislikes. The same can be said for dogs. With a senior pet, you know exactly what their personality is like and how they’re likely to fit into your family for the long term. Do they like to cuddle? Or are they more independent? A senior pet’s personality traits have already been established so there likely won’t be any surprises when you get your new pet home.
2. They may already be trained or be easier to trainDepending on their background, a senior dog may already be trained to go to the bathroom outside or a cat in its litter box. He or she may even know some basic commands, making training easier for you.
3. They could be a good fit for someone with a slower lifestyleIf you’re interested in getting a pet but you’re used to a slow pace, or you don’t have the time or energy to spend countless hours on training, walking, and visiting the dog park, a senior pet could be for you. With their high-energy days likely behind them, an older pet could match your pace quite nicely.
4. Older dogs make great companionsUnlike a puppy, who might need leash training, socialization, etc. an older dog is likely ready to go for a long walk and play fetch with you at the park. An older dog can make a great loyal companion, friend and snuggle buddy.
5. You can feel good about giving an older pet a good home where they can grow old
Sometimes the background of a pet is known, sometimes it isn’t but one thing is for sure, older pets deserve a good home where they can happily live out the rest of their days. You can feel good about providing that for them.
Pet insurance can help with the cost of vet visits for senior pets
Our policies don’t have age limits. This means that it doesn’t matter if you have an energetic puppy or a relaxed 10-year-old, we can provide coverage that can help with the cost of vet visits. Learn what’s covered by Petsecure and get a free quote today.